Friday, August 05, 2011

"I don't know how you do it."

I can't tell you how many times I've heard this phrase since we had the twins. If I had a dollar for everytime someone said this to me I'd be rich by now! I think most people  say that to me because they really can't imagine what having four kids in four years would be like. But to me it seems almost like an insult. Like a million dollars wouldn't be enough to convince them to trade places with me.

I just hate it. Because it also feels like it's what they say to me when they can't think of anything else to talk to me about. I know my life would be overwhelming to most people and they can't even imagine what my typcial day is like, but really, what choice do I have?? I didn't choose to have twins. They simply run in my family. It's not like I can say "No thank you" and give one of them back. We all do what we have to do. We all tackle each obstacle that's been placed in front of us as best we can.

So you're probably wondering how I typically respond to this statement. What I usually say is "You'd be surprised at what you do when you have no other choice." Personally, I just keep putting one foot in front of the other. I tackle breakfast, then lunch time rolls around. In a little while it's nap time. Before I know it it's dinner time, bath time and then bedtime. Monday turns to Tuesday and then suddenly it's Friday. I try to ignore the mess. I do my best to listen as they talk. To remember that they're not going to be little forever and that in a few short years these struggles will be a distant memory. Most of all I try to laugh with them at all the silly little things they find funny.

I want so badly to enjoy the year between Lana and Jackson's second and third birthdays as much as I enjoyed Nathan's. I lost that year with Tate because of the twins. That year with Nathan was one of the best years I've had as a mom. I wish I could make it up to Tate, but time keeps marching forward.

These days I'm struggling to balance the fun activities with the necessary mom duties. I love to spend my day reading books, playing play-doh, coloring, playing trains, playing dress-up and watching the kids play together. But I'm  usually interupted with potty breaks, snack times, dirty diapers, mess clean-up and so many other things that just can't be left until tomorrow like the laundry, cleaning and the dishes. You quickly learn to set priorities and learn very fast how to tune certains things out. The noise level in my house often reaches ridiculous levels, but most days I barely notice. But most people have very little tolerance for the type of craziness that goes on inside my house because they aren't exposed to it very often. I can be a very lazy mom at times. I certainly don't do as much with the twins and Tate as I did with Nathan at the same age. I typically don't do finger-painting or arts and crafts. But as the twins get older and Tate gets more mature then I'm trying to do things with them that take more energy. It's just a lot more work cleaning up the messes from three little artists then it is cleaning up after one.

So what's my advice for you?? Don't say to me "I don't know how you do it" becasue one day I may just start charging a dollar everytime someone says it to me!

No comments: