So one of my many hobbies is cross-stitching. An art that I learned as a child from my grandmother and my aunt. Last year I stitched Christmas stockings for TJ, Nathan and myself. A lady at church was nice enough to sew them for me, and they came out great. So, this year I needed to make Tate his stocking, and I got a rather late start in September. I should have known that it couldn't be that simple!
Since cross-stitching is a somewhat dying art, I had to go to Catonsville to find a store that exculsively sold cross-stitching supplies. I couldn't remember the name of the fabric I had used or the count number (which the lady explained to me is the number of squares per inch on the fabric), so I took along one of my stockings. The ladies at the Stitching Post are wonderful, and so helplful. I found out that my fabric was called Fiddlers Lite and that I needed 14 count, which they happened to be out of, so I needed to special order it. Just my luck, it took over 3 weeks for it to come in.
Once it did, I almost immediately started stitching, and as of today I was so proud of myself because I was almost done. Well, today I took Nathan's stocking out because I needed to remember how I had done something one his, and I noticed that the design on Tate's was half the size of Nathan's. DARN! I realized that I should have doubled the size of the stitches (known as 2 over 2). So, I decide to save the one that's almost done to finish and frame later, get a new piece of fabric out and get started. After a few minutes I realize that the design this time is going to be too big. DARN! Needless to say at this point I'm pretty upset. After a lot of comparison I realize that what I really should have ordered was 18 count fabric. As I don't have time for another trip to Catonsville this week, I went online and ordered the correct fabric, which takes 1-2 weeks for shipping!!!!! If Tate gets a stocking this year that matches the rest of ours it will be a miracle!
Here's a pic of our stockings from last year.
No comments:
Post a Comment